Monday, May 12, 2008

What a weekend!

Wow, there are so very many things to say today. This weekend was filled with so much fun!

On Saturday we went to Gardiner Village with Jeff's mom and grandma. It was such a beautiful day! (Someday I'm going to start carrying around a camera so I can take pictures of this stuff). But in the meantime, if you'd like to see some, go to my mother-in-law's blog at www.mainstreetmemories.blogspot.com We wandered in and out of stores, found a Jim Shore angel for my mom for mothers day, and just enjoyed ourselves and the weather. Then we went back to the parent's house for some Tres Leches cake that Jeff made. MMMMMMMMM!!!!! Let me just say that it was DIVINE - yes, nectar of the Gods. It is a dense cake that turns out yellow in color (probably due to the 10 eggs it calls for), oh, I forgot to mention that it has so many calories I don't even want to know. Anyway, after the cake has baked, you pour on a liquid combination of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, regular milk, and heavy whipping cream (yah, did I mention we won't think about the calories?). Then to finish it off, you top it with fresh sliced strawberries. You don't need to sugar the strawberries, the cake is sweet enough to make the combination WONDERFUL!
Then we all piled in the newly re-designed front room and watched some TV, most of us fell asleep. :) Then we had Cheese Steak sandwiches for dinner - again, it was YUM-O! We always eat good food when we go to their house.
On Sunday we went out to my parent's house. We sat around and talked for a while - Jenny gave us the latest goings on with her family and her brother's funeral. My dad's mom came over for dinner as well as my dad's brother, Uncle Jeff and his wife, Julie and their daughter, Jalissa. We had shish-kabobs (I hope that's how you spell it), which were very very good. The highlight of my day had to be playing with little Harbor - my nephew who is 17 months old. I swear every time I see him I get the desire to be a mom myself. He is so adorable. Yesterday we went outside and he spotted every airplane that flew by, and when there weren't any in the sky, he would hold his hands up in the "I don't know where it is" gesture - SO CUTE! Then he would make the animal noises when I would ask him "What's a bear say?" And he would do this tiny little growl with almost no noise behind it, then at monkey he would say "ooo, ooo, ooo" and his mouth would form this perfect little circle. He jumped on the trampoline while holding my hand, and we barked back at the neighbor's dog when he got up on the swingset and began barking at us. My heart just melts when I say goodbye and he gives me a hug and puts his face up for a kiss, and shakes his little hand back and forth. I also love when I put my hand out, he just automatically reaches up and grabs it. If you couldn't tell - I love that little boy!
Also yesterday I found out that my mom's dad is going to receive the Melchezidek Priesthood next Sunday. That is the higher priesthood within the Mormon church. It is so crazy for me to think of it - my whole life he has been a smoker and drinker and he would cuss all the time and didn't treat my grandma very well. I haven't seen them in about four years - another long story for another day. But I guess he has completely changed around. Apparently he wants to take my grandma to the Temple. My mom told me about it yesterday and mentioned that Dave and Jenny would be gone for the funeral and that Becca and Jeremy would still be on their cruise, so Jeff and I would be the only ones left in town and we were invited to come to church for the event. I quickly mentioned that Jeff and I would be out of town this weekend too - she asked where and I said "I don't know yet, I just know we won't be able to go to church." So if we show up on your doorstep this weekend - I hope you'll be okay with us crashing for a couple of days. :)
Oh! Another highlight of yesterday was my dad wearing this t-shirt that his brother Tim had made for him that says "Be nice to me. Cause I have Cancer, Ya know." HILARIOUS! My dad has been saying that since he got his diagnosis, and previous to that, for about 15 years he has said "I just had surgery, ya know." Even though it had been YEARS since then. He is so funny!
Okay, okay, I'll quit jabbering away. I know you've all got to be bored to tears by now. But just remember that family is the most important thing in life, enjoy them while you have them.

Loves!
Rachael

No comments: