Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sad, sad news...

My younger brother, Dave, got married last year just six weeks before Jeff and I did. He met Jenny online at ldslinkup.com She was living in Florida at the time when they met, but decided to move out here to Utah shortly after the New Year under the pretense of going to school here (somehow I think she may actually have wanted to meet and date my brother). Jenny is such a fun girl! She brings out the best in Dave, and they are perfect for each other. Anyhow, last July her mom and brothers came out to Utah from Florida and California for the wedding. Of course our interactions were only for that one day, but it was great to see and meet some of her family.

Yesterday Jenny's older brother committed suicide by cop. Apparently his wife had recently filed for divorce, and he had moved from California back to Florida to get his life back together. Well, yesterday he went to the county court house to respond to the divorce papers his wife had filed, but had bigger plans. When he arrived at the court house, the officers at the check point asked him to put his backpack through the X-ray. He dropped the bag while pulling out a semi-automatic handgun, and opened fire. He struck an officer in the shoulder, and that officer and the other at the door both fired back in defense, and killed him.

I cannot imagine what his family must be feeling right now. Thankfully I have not had to deal with such a tragic loss with a close family member. Don't get me wrong, there have been many deaths in my family, but all from expected health/age-related problems.

My mom has been pretty bummed about this - she says that as a mother, she feels so badly for his mother. She, unfortunately has had to think about/deal with a suicidal child, and her suicide attempts. I have never seen things from this side of the street - it is completely different to see how this has affected so many people. Yet I completely understand the pain that comes with suicidal thoughts, and how I wasn't thinking about how my decision to kill myself would affect other people, only of how bad the pain was and how much I wanted it to stop.

I feel so terrible for Jenny. It is hard to know what I can or should do to help/support her at this time. I wish I could take some of her pain away. I'm so glad that she has Dave though, he is so kind and understanding and empathetic. He will take care of her and help her through this rough time.

I guess I learned a huge lesson today - that the things that we do affect other people in ways we can never know.

1 comment:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I am so sorry to hear of this - I feel so badly for those left behind when a decision like this is made. Somehow I think the pain of the person is just too deep to even realize how it might affect those left behind..if they had, they surly would have chosen another path...
Please give Jenny & Dave our thoughts & prayers..
Love,
Colleen