Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cancer

I hate cancer. I HATE it. I truly do. I wish I could do something to make it go away.

My darling dad is going through six months of chemotherapy after successful removal of a tumor in June. WHY??? does he have to have more chemotherapy after his cancer has been removed??? Because the cancer doctors said he needs to. I don't know what to think about that. This chemotherapy stuff is for the birds. My poor dad has lost over 50 lbs. He is very weak, tired a lot of the time, and is having a hard time being his normal happy self.
Yesterday, Jeff and I went to visit him and my mom at their house. He answered the door when we rang and said he felt light-headed like he had gotten up too fast. I leaned in to give him a hug, and he passed out right there in my arms, and I wasn't strong enough to hold him up. I was trying so hard, but he went down, and I went down too. I'm sure he is all bruised today, and I couldn't help him. That is what I hate the most about this whole thing - I can't do anything to help. I can't make it better, I can't tell him that he'll feel better soon.
And then I keep hearing about all these people dying from cancer at ages as young as and younger than my dad, and I can't handle the idea that it is possible to lose someone you love to this hateful disease. I love him so much - I don't know how I can help him to know that.
Jeff and I have a vacation planned to go to New York City for our one year anniversary leaving this Friday and will be gone for over a week, and I am so scared to leave. My heart is breaking at the thought that something might happen while we are gone. I don't know what to do. :(

1 comment:

Amber Omer said...

I'm so sorry Rach. I'm sitting here and tears just keep coming. Cancer is aweful. Seems so unfair. Please know I am thinking about you and your family and praying for you all.

Tell him you love him every time you see him and then some. Love is what is going to give him so much hope.